Thursday, July 15, 2010

Concorde G-BSST 1973

Concorde G-BSST 1973
A weekly image from my archive.

I never flew on Concorde although I almost got the upgrade of upgrades once flying from Kennedy to London in 1990. A mix-up with my ticket put the kibosh on that and I never had another opportunity. This is Concorde 002 (G-BSST) one of the original prototype planes that flew between 1970 and 1976 when it was retired. This is another image I didn't take and I first thought this was taken in the UK; however, thanks to web research I believe it was taken at Tullamarine in Melbourne in June 1972. The family was traveling from Melbourne to Perth and Concorde 002 was on a round-the-world marketing and sales promotional jaunt. The plane returned to London in early July and later that month British Airways (BOAC) and Air France ordered 5 and 4 planes each. Despite some interest from other airlines those were the only orders ever received. Now the entire fleet is retired, and in an odd coincidence, I can look out of my office window and see one of the British Airways production aircraft sitting next to the USS Intrepid.

No comments: