Friday, August 24, 2012

Goolagong at Kooyong 1976

Evonne Goolagong Kooyong 1976
Through family friends we had members tickets to Kooyong and at the 75, 76 and 77 championships I was able spend many full days there.  On this day, for some reason I don't recall, Moms PND and I got to sit court side and someone let me use their 35mm camera.  They came out OK for a first time effort - just a bit dark.  Here Evonne has just destroyed another opponent and she went on to win the Open that year.  As with all these early tennis images the thing that strikes you is the lack of equipment and the big bags of stuff all the players carry with them now.  The funny thing here is she is clutching a couple of cokes for later as though that's all she's going to get!

A few years ago, (on a whim) I thought I would check what newspaper images existed for the championships in the years I went.  I checked out the News International newspaper site and sure enough I was able to find myself in the crowd sitting behind the server in some early round match in 1975.  Pretty funny. 

Another weekly image from my archive. Click on it to make it larger.

In addition to the images I've posted on Flickr and those I've periodically posted on PND, I have now produced a Big Blurb Book: From the Archive 1960 -1980 of some of the images I really thought were special.

No comments: